Postcard of The First Methodist Church in Niles. The mansard-capped tower on the right was removed in 1951.
In 1832, just a few years after the plat for the village of Niles was recorded, the first Methodist "Class" in the community organized. Two years later their first church building opened on 4th Street, between Main and Sycamore.
The First Methodist Church in Niles began construction on this current building on the corner of Third and Cedar in 1862. Several additions have been made to the structure over the years, including the Chapel on the south part of the sanctuary in 1892 and expansions to include more space for the Sunday School in 1949 and 1959. The church underwent another expansion in the late 1960s. Although the church structure has undergone several remodels and additions, the original wainscoting woodwork and windows still remain.
In 1967, after The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church combined, the congregation changed names from First Methodist to Wesley United Methodist Church. In January of 2020, Wesley United combined with Grace United Methodist Church, originally located on the west side of town, and the name changed to New Journey United Methodist Church.
Photo showing the First Methodist Church on the corner of Third and Cedar. The photo was taken on Third Street, looking south.
The mansard - capped tower on the church was removed in 1951.