Brush Chipping Procedures and Requirements
This program runs from the last week of April through the second week of October (weather permitting), BEGINNING the second and fourth Tuesday of every month. We rotate wards every list and do not quit until the list is completely picked up. In order for this program to run smoothly and efficiently we ask that anyone participating in this program follow a few simple steps:
- Contact the City of Niles Department of Public Works at (269) 683-4700 ext 3062, or add your address on our website, and request to be placed on the list, by no later than noon on the Friday before the scheduled pickup. Leave your address, no calls will be returned, and you WILL be placed on the list. IF YOU LIVE ON A CORNER LOT AND YOUR BRUSH IS ON THE “OTHER” STREET PLEASE BE SURE TO GIVE THAT INFORMATION.
- Have your brush placed at the curb (not in the street or covering the sidewalk) by 7:00 a.m. on the date pickup BEGINS. There may be times we have to start in a different ward due to unforeseen circumstances and if your brush is not out we WILL NOT come back until the next scheduled start date.
- ALL limbs should be placed with cut ends towards the street and stacked in the same direction. Limbs may be up to 6” in diameter and lengths not larger than one person can lift himself. ALL PILES MUST BE FREE OF VINES, GRASS OR FLOWER CLIPPINGS, LEAVES, ORNAMENTAL GRASSES, LIMBS WITH WIRE OR NAILS, FENCE POSTS OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF WOOD, ROOT BALLS OF SHRUBBERY, THORNS AND TRASH AS WE DO NOT SORT THROUGH THESE PILES FOR THE BRUSH.
- The Street Department dump trucks are 6 cubic yards and we ONLY pick up one load per address per list, PRE-CHIPPED. If it is determined that you have more than the allowed amount you must call the number above and get on the next pickup list.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning up the area after the limbs have been picked up.
- THE INTENT OF THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT INCLUDE TREE REMOVAL OR TREE TOPPING THAT WOULD NORMALLY BE HANDLED BY A TREE REMOVAL CONTRACTOR.
- The Street Department personnel reserves the right to limit or reject the material placed at the curbside. Non-compliant piles will be turned over to Code Enforcement.
Brush Chipping Pickup Form