The City of Niles will be flushing hydrants during the day, starting Monday, October 09, 2023. Flushing will begin at 7:30 A.M. and continue until 3:00 P.M. each day through Friday, October 13, 2023. The City of Niles hopes that the hydrant flushing will not be an inconvenience to their customers. However, some customers may experience discoloration of water and to reduce any problems this can cause, the following advice is offered:
- Do not wash laundry between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Before you start, run your water until the temperature of the water changes to cold. In doing so, you should be able to detect red water before you start your wash.
- If you experience red water in your wash, do not dry the load of clothes; leave them wet. A powder may be obtained at no charge from the Utilities Department office that will remove stains. Do not use bleach to remove iron stains as this will oxidize the stain and make it impossible to remove.
- Although the City of Niles provides water to your residence, persistent red stains could be coming from your own house plumbing, especially if your pipes are galvanized.
- You should flush your water heater at least two times a month; more frequently if you have experienced red water.
- You should apply an approved iron removal chemical to your water softener’s mineral bed.
- Maintain aerators on faucets, and clean inlet screens on washing machines.
- If you experience red water in your laundry at a time when the Utilities Department office is not open, you can obtain iron removal products at supermarkets and drug stores. If you cannot find polyphosphates, oxalic acid can be purchased at drug stores.
Tentative schedule as follows:
- Monday, October 9th, valving will be conducted and flushing started at 17th from Lake St. to Main St. East, and 17th / 13th South to Eagle.
- Tuesday, October 10th, flushing will continue at 17th / 13th South to Oak, 13th / 3rd South to Oak, Oak South to Fort, and 5th North to Pucker.
- Wednesday, October 11th, flushing will be conducted from 5th East to Niles River.
- Thursday, October 12th, flushing will be conducted from Niles River West, Lincoln, Parkway, Sarka, Ballard Hills, Platt, Kennsington, Missions and missions.
- Friday, October 13th, Finish Balarney Rd area, flushing will be completed West Chicago to Bertrand.
Niles Utilities Department