Questions are being asked about Halloween activities in the City of Niles . Since Halloween (and Door to Door Trick or Treat) are not City sponsored events, we believe the following should be the City's response to any questions regarding Halloween activities:
- Halloween is not a city sanctioned event, but rather a national tradition. Other than announcing the suggested hours to provide some sense of order, the City has no further involvement. The City has no legal authority or basis to cancel Halloween or restrict the free movement of its residents.
- However; the mayor has routinely set the official hours for Door to Door Trick or Treat to coincide with neighboring communities. In the absence of setting the official time - it should be noted that the usual hours for Door to Door Trick or Treating are from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm.
- All residents and visitors who decide to participate should adhere to any public health recommendations from the Berrien County Health Department. Be safe and operate common sense such as: wear a mask; social distancing if not in the same household; any household with a positive case should not participate; any individuals with symptoms should not participate; and follow other guidance from public health officials.
- Participants should use sidewalks where available, consider wearing reflective clothing or lighting, and be on the lookout for vehicles.
- Be smart, be safe, and have fun.
- We are a few weeks away from Halloween, therefore, please continue to watch for updates from public health officials. We hope this helps you enjoy a safe and fun Halloween.