City Hall- General
The drive-thru is open from 7:30am - 4:30pm, also closed from 12:00pm - 1:00pm for lunch.
City Clerk's Office
Yes. For example: If you wanted to sell flowers on private property, you'd need to provide a letter from the property owner giving you permission to sell, complete the Permit Application and pay a fee. A permit is also required to sell items on public property. Permits are not issued the day you apply so remember to apply for your permit at least three days in advance. Click here for more information.
Department of Public Works
The City of Niles offers a free limb and brush chipping program to its residents. Please keep the following rules in mind:
- Pickup is scheduled for the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month, from late April thru mid-October.
- Residents must call the Department of Public Works (683-4700 x 3062) by no later than noon on the Friday just prior to the scheduled pickup day.
- Material must be placed at the curb or edge of roadway by no later than 7:00 am on the scheduled pickup day, with the cut ends facing toward the street whenever possible.
- Material must be easily handled by one man.
- Vines, leaves, limbs and brush with dirt attached, rose and other thorn bushes, lawn and flower clippings, and limbs with wire or nails will not be picked up.
- The City of Niles reserves the right to limit or reject the material to be picked up due to size, quantity, or type.
- The program is not intended for removal of tree topping or removal that would normally be handled by a tree removal contractor.
- Do not cover the water meter lid in the boulevard. This limits the meter reader's access to our meter which may cause inaccurate readings.
As long as you are on the list and have abided by the above rules, your items will be picked up. Please keep in mind that this program is extremely popular, with the pickup list at times surpassing 100 locations. Because of this the Street Department sometimes must work several days in order to complete the pickup. If you are on the list but your limbs or brush are not picked up on the first day of the pickup, please do not become upset or concerned. It is recommended that you place your brush out at the street just prior to the scheduled pickup starting date. Placing the brush out several days in advance may cause grass in the boulevard to become yellow or die.
Normally, the fall leaf collection program begins the last week of October. The leaves are collected one ward at a time, starting the program in a different ward each year. The date that the program will begin will be announced in the Niles Daily Star, the Leader, South Bend Tribune, and on radio station WNIL-AM.
Please follow these few simple rules:
- Rake leaves to the back of the curb and not onto the pavement.
- Only clean leaves will be picked up. Leaves mixed with brush limbs trash ashes, or other debris will not be picked up.
- Leaves must be raked out in advance of the pickers. Leaves raked out afterwards will not be picked up.
The goal is to go around the City two complete times, weather permitting. It s important to rake as many leaves out as possible in advance of the first pick up, since the second time around may be halted or delayed by bad weather. Normally the crews work ten hours per day, Monday through Saturday. It is always our goal to complete the entire program prior to December 15th, again, weather permitting. Should you not be able to rake your leaves out in time to be picked up by the City, you may take them to the Southeast Berrien County Landfill, 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan, and dispose of them. There is no charge.
Free smoke detectors are not available for rental properties as the landlord is responsible for ensuring there are sufficient smoke detectors installed in rental units. However; tenants should ensure that smoke detectors are working properly.
You will need to come into the utility office with a photo ID for everyone that will be on the account. You will need to bring in your lease (if you are renting) or your closing paperwork (if you are purchasing a home).
*Both options require your account number so be sure to have it when you are ready to make your payment.
- All adjacent property owners will be notified of intended tree work.
- Door hangers will be provided outlining the tree trimming & removal plans.
- Most property owners will receive a phone call or in-person visit prior to the work taking place in front of their property.
- For trees removed in the "city boulevard" (area between the sidewalk & street), the wood will be hauled away & stumps will be grounded.
- Wood Hauling occurs soon after tree removal. Stump grinding occurs later in late fall or early winter as weather/time permits.
- Tree trimming on private property will be discussed with the individual property owner.
- Tree wood will be left on site for private property operations.
- Tree trimmers do not give permission to private individuals to remove wood.
- Permission for the removal of wood can only come from the Niles Utilities Department directly.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding tree trimming call 269-683-4700 ext. 1321. Leave a message and our Plant Growth Management Contractor will respond to you promptly.