Photo of the Niles Carnegie Library building
Niles' Carnegie Library building opened in 1904 through a grant from industrialist Andrew Carnegie, matched with community funds. The program required that communities requesting the grant demonstrate a need for a library in their town. They also had to provide land for the building and set aside annual funds for the library’s operations. Carnegie provided $15,000 for the building construction. The Federation of Women’s Clubs, private donors and the city raised funds for furnishing and staff.
In 1963 the new Niles Library building, funded by local philanthropist Jennie Plym, opened on the corner of Main and 7th Streets.
Photo showing the children's department at the Niles Carnegie Library.
Photo courtesy of the Niles District Library