Postcard of the Niles Carnegie Library
The current Niles District Library building opened in 1963, replacing the Carnegie Library opened in 1904 on the corner of Main and Fourth Streets. Niles philanthropist Jennie Plym provided the funding for the building,
designed by local architect Trace Christenson Jr. A key feature is the pentadecagon-shaped
rotunda. The library grew with additions in the 1970s and 1990s, expanding on their mission
to provide the community with access and guidance to resources that inform, entertain,
The photo shows Jennie Plym preparing to break ground on the new library building. Looking on from left to right are: H. J. Mersereau, library board member; Mayor Pro Tem William Holmes; Joel Pearson, co-owner of Pearson Construction; Trace Christenson, project architect; George Van Camp, Niles librarian; and Adrien Nieboer, library board chairman.
Photo courtesy of the Niles District Library
Current Niles District Library building