Ferry Street School, photo dated 1933
The Ferry Street historic neighborhood is bordered by 5th and 9th and Ferry and Sycamore Streets The area was settled in the 1850s by African American families. Several families built homes on Ferry Street. One of these homes was the residence of Charlotte "Lottie" Wilson, a prominent artist whose work was displayed at the White House. Wilson also participated in civil rights activism on the national stage. Buildings in the Corridor include:
Franklin A.M.E. Church (9th and Sycamore Streets)
Ferry Street Resource Center, which was built as a "Colored" one-room school house (7th and Ferry Streets)
Prince Hall Mason Lodge, formerly Harrison Lodge, the first African American Mason's Lodge in Michigan (7th and Ferry Streets)
Mount Calvary Baptist Church, formerly Second Baptist Church (6th and Ferry Streets)
Portrait of artist and activist Lottie Wilson. The Wilson family home still stands on the corner of 5th and Ferry Streets.