City of Niles Code of Ordinances
Sec. 10-2. - Permit to keep certain animals.
(a) No farm animal, wild animal, or nondomestic animal, including, but not limited to, a horse, cow, swine, sheep, goat, chicken, goose, or duck shall be kept in the city without a permit from the zoning administrator. Provided that a permit shall not be issued for any dangerous animal.
(b) Any person desiring to keep a farm animal, wild animal, or nondomestic animal, including, but not limited to, a horse, cow, swine, sheep, goat, chicken, goose, or duck shall submit a written application to the zoning administrator. The application must contain the following:
(1) The location where the applicant proposes to keep the animal, including the type of structure proposed to house the animal;
(2) The type and number of animals that the applicant intends to keep; and
(3) The distance from where the animal will be kept to the public streets, to the boundary lines of the applicant's premises, and any neighboring structures.
(c) An application under this section shall be reviewed by the zoning administrator and subject to final approval of the city administrator. A permit shall be granted if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The structure proposed to house the animal is of suitable size and strength to safely contain the animal;
(2) The number of animals intended to be kept will not be detrimental to the public health of any of the inhabitants of the city, taking into consideration the accumulation of excrement attributable to the animals and any other characteristic which may effect the public health of the inhabitants of the city;
(3) The animal must be housed at least 100 feet from any neighboring structure or boundary line;
(4) The animal must be housed at least 100 feet from any public street or alley; and
(5) The housing of the animal must not disturb the general peace and quiet of the neighborhood or otherwise constitute a public nuisance.
If the conditions of subsection (b) of this section are met, then a permit will be issued by the zoning administrator setting forth the number and type of animal to be kept, where such animal shall be kept, and shall require that such animal be kept as required by this section. If an owner fails to comply with the terms of the permit, then the permit shall be revoked.
(d) Any person who harbors, keeps, or possesses any animal contrary to this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Code 1985, §§ 5-18, 5-19)
Application to Keep Certain Animals in the City of Niles